Welcome to the Palm and Cycad Societies of Australia
Welcome to the PACSOA website and wiki, one of the internet's most comprehensive resources about palms and cycads. This web site includes extensive information on palm and cycad species, their horticulture, details about society membership, society activities, and links to other sites
The Palm & Cycad Society of Australia Inc. (PACSOA) is a group of affiliated, semi-autonomous, regional Palm and/or Cycad Societies headed by a Board presently based in Brisbane, Queensland. The Society publishes a quarterly magazine, PALMS & CYCADS (see below), which has articles of both non-technical and technical content, of interest to the palm and/or cycad enthusiast; and a Bookstore which offers substantial discounts on retail prices of palm and cycad books and publications, most of which are unobtainable elsewhere in Australia. At the regional level (the individual societies are known as branch groups), regular meetings, field trips and outings are organized and all branch groups produce a newsletter relevant to their particular area.
The objects of the PASCOA include promotion of the propagation and cultivation of palms and cycads, education and dissemination of knowledge, scientific study, and conservation of endangered species in the wild. PASCOA is affiliated with the International Palm Society (I.P.S.)
The annual <<PACSOA show>> will be held this year on the weekend of March 11 - 12, 2017, at Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens Auditorium, Brisbane.
Saturday 9am to 4pm, Sunday 9am to 3pm. Admission $3 / $2 Concession.
Hundreds of rare species, natives, exotics for sale.
Free parking at the gardens. Cultivation advice, rare plant display, books, magazines.
All of our members are invited to offer palms and cycads for sale.
PALMS & CYCADS Magazine Goes Digital
From 2016 our flagship magazine PALMS & CYCADS is transitioning from paper to electronic delivery. 2015 subscribers will have received an email by now advising them of the reasons for this decision. The subscription fee for 2016 has been reduced to $25 for all electronic subscribers, domestic or international. Click <<here>> to subscribe or renew. PALMS & CYCADS will continue to be produced 4 times per year, packed with 32 pages of info on our favourite plants. Subscribers will receive an email when every new issue is ready to download.
The change has been driven by costs; printing costs continue to rise and Australia Post has recently raised postage charges by 40%. The magazine is not sustainable in the printed form.
Subscribers who renew for 2016 will receive an email with their password to the <<Members Only>> area. Here you can download the current issue both as low-res (2mb) for casual reading or a high resolution (20mb) version which can be printed if desired. Back Issues for 2015 are already there and eventually ALL back issues going back to 1987 will be available to members at no extra cost. Email Mark Wuschke at email@example.com with any questions.
How to use this website
- If your are a beginner to growing palms and cycads, try our beginners page (at left) for a set of introductory articles, or if you are a bit more experienced and looking for some inspiration, try South-east Qld Palms for some interesting, but less commonly grown species.
- If you know what species you are interested in, go to the relevant page in either Palms or Cycads. Because this is a Wiki, you can also add or update almost any article on these pages. Simply register (top right)), click the "edit" button of the article and share your knowledge!
- If you are looking for information on adding or updating pages, have a look at the help page. This will also tell you how to upload images to the wiki.
- If you would like to contribute any information or pictures, but don't feel comfortable doing that yourself, you can send them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you would like to join PACSOA, or find out information about the benefits, go to our online Membership page
- If you would like to purchase any books, go to our Bookstore.
- Recent changes/additions can be found on the latest updates page.
- Our Links page has numerous links to other relevant sites and plant societies.
PALMS & CYCADS Magazine
No. 132, July - September 2016
Contents this Issue
- Palm Grove National Park - Mark Wuschke
- Ravenea louvelii - Mark Wuschke
- The Palms of Canada – Part 3 – Calgary Zoo - Mark Wuschke
- Tell Us About Your Coconuts!
Front Cover: Mt. Tamborine rain forest
For info about previous issues, click <here>
If you have any comments or suggestions about this website, please contact the website maintainer, Mike Gray.